Thursday, July 22, 2010

Daddy's Little Girl


As we speak- or I guess as I speak :) I'm sitting in the condo with hot vanilla carmel tea with milk- a new favorite!- (as the AC is blasting), listening to Shane & Shane and preparing for our Girl's Night this saturday. The theme is Daddy's Girl- all about how we are daughters of Christ and that He is our Daddy- we are loved and safe in His arms. I am writing out the talk word for word- who knows, maybe I'll put it in a book someday! But I thought I might share some of it with you guys- I'm so thankful for you daddy and the man of God you are- you have given me such a sweet glimpse of God's Fatherly love and protection for me. I cherish all of our crazy and sweet memories together!

I am totally a Daddy’s Little Girl. Growing up the style was to wear clips in you hair, and I even had a special red and white pair that said “Daddy’s little girl”. My dad and I have experienced so many things together- we have done crazy things like body surfing in the ocean and almost getting caught in the wash- coming out of the ocean with so much sand in my bottoms that it looked like I had a second bottom! To hiking waterfalls and seeing the third pirates of the Caribbean movie in the theatres- and since the show was almost sold out, we opted to sit in the front row- not a good idea with an action movie! Haha To heart to heart talks, boy advice, and walking through his cancer.
But my favorite memory of my daddy growing up, and still is when I go home, is when my dad would come home from work. My dad would go to work at 3am every morning and come home around 5pm. I wouldn’t have seen him all day, and would just be waiting all day to see him. My mom and I would be in the kitchen getting dinner ready, while I did my homework. Then we would hear the garage door open, the car with blasting jazz music would pull in, and the door would open- my cat would come screeching in- and my daddy would walk in, put down his cooler as I ran and gave him the biggest hug ever. “Daddy!!!!” He would hold me for a few moments and give me a kiss on the cheek. Then my mom would come and give him a hug and they would give a big smoocharoo- literally. SMOOOCH! Then the kitchen would lighten up with quick chatter about our day as my dad made his lunch for the next day and mom put the plates of dinner on the table. It was the best! Daddy was finally home and our family was complete. We would sit down to dinner and my dad 9 out of 10 times would share a joke he heard on the radio- always leading into it as though it were something that really happened in his day. We would share the events of the day- along with the struggles, tears, funnies and victorious moments. When dad came home, our family felt complete; there was laughter, joy, security, and peace.

I can't wait to be home for that in 21 days! Love ya daddio

No comments:

Post a Comment