Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Peculiar Treasures

On Thursday I was in the office around lunch time, and somehow I was the only one there. Three people walked into the office, so i asked if they needed help and they asked for our Pastor. I went back to get him, all the while thinking the woman looked familiar, but I'm sure she's just a lady from our church. Then when we came back out it hit me! It was Robin Jones Gunn! She is my favorite Christian author and wrote the Christy Miller Series, which I read when I was turning 15 yrs. old. The Lord used her books to really draw me close to Himself- it was through those books that i realized that christianity is a relationship with God- I saw what it looked like to live out a life in love with Jesus and how to walk in His ways. I LOVE those books and recommend them to all my high school girls to read.
I could only dream in my wildest dreams of meeting Robin- and sure enough I did! I told her my story and she began to cry. She explained to me how her husband use to be a youth pastor and she was working with the junior high girls. The girls were reading all of these erotic romantic fictions, but she didn't have any books to recommend to them so she began to write the Christy Miller Series. She would wake up at 3am 3 days a week, since there kids were still really young then. And then she would read a chapter a week to her girls and they would tell her what they liked and what needed to change. It took (i forget) 2-4 yrs. to write and 12 publishers until it finally got published. Her verse that she had up in her kitchen window at the time was Psalm 102:18,
"Let this be recorded for a generation to come, so that a people yet to be created may praise the LORD"
Robin: "Alyssa when were you born?"
me: "1987"
Robin: "they were published in 1988!"
Doesn't that just give you goosebumps! The Lord is so faithful to His words- I came to praise the Lord- i was that generation- and tons of other girls my age.

What a blessing it was to meet her! She was so down to earth and sweet. It was almost as if the Lord was telling me, "Alyssa, keep dreaming big. Truly, those who delight in Me, I will fulfill their desires" Anything is possible with the Lord- may your will be done Papa!

4 comments:

  1. wow Lyss...that is so neat! I know you have told me how the Lord used them in your life...what a blessing of the Lord that you ran into her. It probably is such a blessing to her to continue to hear what a ministry her efforts have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa! how sweet! Wow, i got goosebumps reading it. That must've been such a blessing for the both of you! :)
    I know lots of girls in my church who love the Christie Miller series as well- i hope you don't mind if i share this blog post with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. alyssa! thats so cool, i remember you telling me how much you loved her and her books! im so happy for you that you got to meet her! :)

    ReplyDelete