Saturday, October 3, 2009

As Gold Refined in Fire

Thursdays are always busy days for me with youth group (The Furnace) that night. There are announcements, worship, slideshows, computer hoopla- of which i don't understand but somehow God always works it out!- preparing a devotion...and getting so stoked to see the kids!

So I came to work on Thursday, bracing myself for another thursday, and what a day! Brooklyn, Brandon's 2 yr. old sweetheart, drank a bottle of children's tylenol that morning. It was scary and a bit crazy figuring out how she was doing as she went from home, to the doctors, to the ER...Thankfully Brandon was able to leave and go be with his family and praise the Lord that it turned out Brookey was okay. After they did her blood work, they found out that her toxins were under what they needed to be to stay over night in the ER and have an IV- PRAISE THE LORD! How scary that would have been for her. She's metabolized it by now and is much better. However, Brandon leaving meant that I needed to lead youth group that night. And truthfully, I was scared. I love the high schoolers so much and I love teaching- in small groups or one on one, when i've had ample time to prepare and pray about it. But this all came about at 3pm...thankfully Brandon already had his message all written up, so all I needed to do was share it. However, it was on Col. 1:24-25 and I didn't fully understand it myself- about suffering. I've been kind of thinking through that topic all summer- is this suffering when we are persecuted for our faith, or just trials in general? Sometimes they correlate...but i'm just not real clear on the topic. (Any wisdom!?) So I spent the rest of the day frantically studying, and getting all the worship together...as I prayed throughout it all. I did learn a lot as I studied! One thing that really stood out to me was that after Jesus ascended, the world wasn't done persecuting Him because they hate Him, so because we are the body of Christ- He is the head- we are so intimate with Him- we are persecuted, taking His afflictions. But it's such a joy- not a burden or sorrow- because of the wrath and sorrow He bore on the cross for our sins! How blessed to be able to be part of Christ- to be the branches of the Sweet Vine.
Anyways, I'm still praying through what happened thursday night and trying to process it...but i was amazed at how God worked! Even though Brandon wasn't there (and oh how i missed him!) and the sound to the computer was off and we didn't have a snack- haha- He showed His glory. We had a small group that night because it was the first night of the fair, but i loved it- worship was sweet and as i sat in the back doing the slideshow, i loved watching the kids be intimate with the Lord and truly give Him praise! As we were worshipping, one of the boys- Daniel- had it heavy on his heart to talk to the kids- so i said great- go for it! He got up there and talked about what God's been showing him about worship- that it's not about the sound, or the feeling you get, but about worshipping our Lord because He's the Holy One, Glorious and worthy of all praise. I loved hearing what God had been doing in his life and it seemed like the kids were really intent- i really believe kids like hearing from other kids. Then we sang some more and i just shared Psalm 63 and prayed for them. I loved seeing how the kids stepped up to lead- with worship, announcements, sound (because they all know i don't have a clue as to what i'm doing! haha) and with Daniel sharing. I think it was great that he shared, but after talking with Brandon, i realize too how that's not the best thing to do most of the time because often their theology can be off; it's good to stick to the planned out lesson for the most part. The question I've been trying to figure out in my own heart is whether or not i let daniel talk because the Holy Spirit was leading me in that way, or because really i was fearful of speaking- i have such a fear of people. How I need to work on that and continue to trust in the Lord and to fear Him and not man. I know the Lord works all things out for His glory and our good, but how I want my motives and actions to so please and honor Him. It was definately humbling...i am a simple intern with so much to learn, and in need of relying on the Lord every minute of every day! I also realized how much Brandon does, what all youth pastors do, and am so thankful for him and the gift the Lord has given him.

Yesterday was our fair day!!!! And can I just say i absolutely LOVED it! It was a blast! We are making baja tacos- and an older couple of one of the worship pastor's have been helping out and cooking all the food. Carlos- the cook- is the cutest elderly man i have ever met! He reminds me of a turtle- which are my new favorite sea animal! He's so cute- and hard working; he doesn't stop. Throughout the night he would be cooking and randomly break out in song in spanish! haha or say "arrrrrriiiiiibbbbbaaaa!" This small, tan, elderly man- love him! And I tried some of the maui local food- haha!
1. Poi Mochi- mochi balls fried with sugar...not my favorite! but the line was out of control!
2. malisadas- oh man! AMAZING! It's just fried dough (i don't even like fried food!) dipped in sugar, hot!! it just melts in your mouth
I also got to get out for a bit and walk around with a few of the girlies. We went and looked at the photography and drawings (of which 3 of my girls had done artwork! and they were amazing!), fruit, veggies...and oh man! I was in heaven looking at all that fruit and discovering new ones! Do you know there are apple bananas?!

Oh, but what i really wanted to share...as i was working with people from the church yesterday, i discovered some things about them- the hardships they face. One lady, Judy, has a boy (Brian) who is a sophmore and adores brandon. (I really love Brian) Well, I had asked her if she could help at the booth last night, and she said she'd love to- she'll do her best- but has a really hard time with her hands and feet because she's doing chemo-therapy- i think- or something to fight her breast cancer, which she's had for 12 years. It's stagnate right now- she still has it a bit, but it's not getting any worst. But with her medication, i think it's burning the cancer out of her, but it goes to her feet and hands, which look like they're 3 degree burned. And they just hurt...but she and her husband and Brian helped out at the fair last night- and she stood the whole time, working so hard! And as I watched their family, I almost had tears in my eyes, seeing how precious their love for one another was. Brian is a joyful boy who respects his parents and authority so much- and Peter, the dad, so lovingly serves his wife- and Judy is just so joyful and gentle-hearted. When I was talking to her on the phone yesterday I mentioned how my dad had had cancer when i was in high school so i understand a little of what they are going through, so if they need anything at all, please ask me- i would love to help in any way. And she said thank you, but that they are really doing great- she just kept emphasizing how thankful she was that Brian is so involved in the youth group and is growing in the Lord- that's what matters most to her. Oh the heart of a mother! I can't even imagine what it'll be like...and as i was observing this family last night in the booth, all i could think of was how God makes us so beautiful through the trials we face- just as gold is refined in fire- I guess that's the theme of the week huh? With Brookey being in the hospital, my challenge to lead the youth group, this precious family fighting cancer...
and then with Rio (one of my girls) locking her car keys in her car at the fair- so not getting home til 2am and then getting up at 6:40am to get to the church to do dishes, and then drive up in the mountains to get her spare car keys, then back to the fair to get her to the car....but it was so fun because Rio and Cindy (another girl helping out last night) got to spend the night, and then we got to hang out all morning and just enjoy one another and get to know one another better, which is a blessing, esp. since Cindy doesn't have any friends here. (Recently moved from the big island)

God, thank you for teaching me about suffering this week, and how we can truly rejoice in it because it draws us closer to You, and makes us more beautiful- reflecting Your beauty. And through it all, we have nothing to fear because you are always with us and hold us and keep us through the storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment